Hello! This is the website and portfolio of Chris Northwood (I'm sometimes found online using the handle laser or a variation and I hold the radio callsigns M3NTW and 2E0NTW).
I'm currently a freelance software developer. Please get in touch if you'd like to work with me!
I help run BarCamp Manchester.
I've written a book: The Full Stack Developer, published by Apress. It's the book I wish I had when I started as a junior developer, and covers almost everything I've learnt in my career so far. You can buy it from Amazon.
What I believe
- I believe in Continuous Delivery in a DevOps team
- I believe in Agile projects and Kanban
- I'm a polyglot programmer, working across the full web stack, who believes in using the best tool for the job
- I work in integrated, cross-functional teams: swarming on problems, rather than siloed roles and responsibilities
- I believe in Behaviour-Driven Development as a communication tool
- I believe in effective code reviews
- I build accessibility and security in from the start
- I use Test-Driven Development and Continuous Integration
- I believe in working at a sustainable pace
What I know
MSc Computer Science with Speech & Language Processing (University of Sheffield)
Final result: Performance with Distinction
Awarded the Fretwell-Downing prize for performance in thesis: Temporal Expression Recognition and Normalisation in Python.
BEng Computer Science (University of York)
Final result: Second class honours, first division
What I've done
Published works: Cox, J., Jones, R., Northwood, C., Tutcher, J., & Robinson, B. (2017, June). Object-Based Production: A Personalised Interactive Cooking Application. In Adjunct Publication of the 2017 ACM International Conference on Interactive Experiences for TV and Online Video (pp. 79-80). ACM.
QA Engineer & Intern Developer