Technical Leader and Author
Hello! This is the website and portfolio of Chris Northwood (I'm sometimes found online using the handle laser or a variation and I hold the radio callsigns M3NTW and 2E0NTW). I'm trans, and use the pronouns she/her.
I'm a technologist with a background in tech leadership and full-stack development, as well as campaigner for the Liberal Democrats in Manchester. I work with organisations that want to make the world a better place, most recently at Culture Shift where I built a product team that enabled the tech-for-good startup to scale from £20k to £1 million annual recurring revenue. I use my experience in strategy, architecture and leadership combined with my background as a technical practitioner to lead or advise product teams that solve problems using web technologies across the full web stack.
I tweet at @cnorthwood but I'm slowly moving over to Mastodon, where I am firstname.lastname@example.org. I occasionally blog at Medium. You can also get in touch with me using the details below.
I've written a book: The Full Stack Developer, published by Apress. It's the book I wish I had when I started as a junior developer, and covers almost everything I've learnt in my career so far. You can buy it from Amazon.
What I believe
- I believe in Continuous Delivery in a cross-functional product team embracing DevOps, design and QA working together.
- I believe in agile approaches to problem-solving, setting up a sustainable flow of delivery.
- I'm a polyglot programmer, working across the full web stack, who believes in using the best tool for the job.
- I work in cross-functional teams focussed on delivery: swarming on problems, rather than siloed roles and responsibilities.
- I believe that software delivery should be integrated into the business, not a separate team.
- I believe in enabling all members of the team to make progress.
- I build accessibility and security in from the start.
- I use Test-Driven Development and Continuous Integration.
- I believe in working at a sustainable pace.
What I've done
Consultant on addressing scaling issues
Head of Development from May 2020
The Trial Platform
Digital Transformation Project Lead
Object-based Production Tools In the Cloud
Published works: Northwood, C., & Wadge, R. (2018). An Architecture for Cloud-Based IP Video Production Tools. SMPTE Motion Imaging Journal, 127(5), 32-37.
Single Operator Mixing Application
Cook-Along Kitchen Experience
Technical Lead and Architect
Published works: Cox, J., Jones, R., Northwood, C., Tutcher, J., & Robinson, B. (2017, June). Object-Based Production: A Personalised Interactive Cooking Application. In Adjunct Publication of the 2017 ACM International Conference on Interactive Experiences for TV and Online Video (pp. 79-80). ACM.
Manchester Tech Nights
Connected Red Button
Full-Stack Developer for TiVo devices
Sophos Anti-Virus for Linux
QA Engineer & Intern Developer
What I know
MSc Computer Science with Speech & Language Processing (University of Sheffield)
Final result: Performance with Distinction
Awarded the Fretwell-Downing prize for performance in thesis:Temporal Expression Recognition and Normalisation in Python.
BEng Computer Science (University of York)
Final result: Second class honours, first division